Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Adventures in swimming

I signed Caitlyn up for swim lessons at our local YMCA. I thought it would be a great way to introduce her to the pool and get the two of us more comfortable in the water. We have a pool in our condo complex that I bring her into about every other day but the swim lessons give me ideas on things to do with her while we're in the water. It's not like a 3.5 month old baby really knows how to swim.

The lessons started 3 weeks ago and so far I've been a little unlucky when it comes them.

Week 1
This was my first time going to the YMCA in London and I was running late. We rushed into the change room, I got her changed then me changed and we rushed into the pool area about 5 minutes late. The pool was empty!!  A little confused I went to the lifeguard to inquire and low and behold I was at the wrong YMCA. Apparently there is more than one in London. I was SO disappointed because there was no way Caitlyn and I were going to make it to the other Y on time to make the lesson. So I got us both changed back into our clothes and headed home.

Week 2
We made it to the right YMCA this week and we were even early. So far it was a success. Then we got in the pool.  We had this little corner of the pool sectioned off for us and there were these 8-12 year old kids doing a free swim right beside our area. There was so much noise and splashing going on that it really affected Caitlyn. She cried almost the entire half hour. We were in and out of the pool three times before I gave up. Needless to say it was not a good experience for either of us. We mentioned at the front desk about the noise and they said they would try to switch up the schedule the following week so that we didn't have to worry about the other kids.

Week 3
This week they changed the time of our lesson so that we wouldn't be impacted by the 8-12 year old kids. Which I totally appreciated and this definitely helped me feel better about choosing the Y for Caitlyn's first swimming lessons. We pulled into the parking lot at the Y a good 15 minutes early and as I was walking up to the door a thought suddenly entered my head "did I bring my swimsuit??" the answer was nope :) How I could have forgotten it is beyond me and I totally blame baby brain.  So what's a mom to do you ask?? I went swimming in my clothes of course. Thankfully the Y allowed this. Caitlyn had a blast, there was no crying at all which was awesome. I was slightly embarrassed about swimming in my clothes and I'm sure as I walked out of the place soaking wet people were wondering what was wrong with me. But I'll do anything for my little girl and I definitely did not want her to miss out on the lesson, so in the end it was worth it.

Time for a little game of what's wrong with this picture??


I blame baby brain for this one as well. This is how I got Caitlyn dressed after our week 3 swim lesson.

1 comment:

  1. P.S. Jessica dunked Olivia...she's 4 months old. Olivia is still alive :)

    ReplyDelete