Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Yoga is good

As much as I LOVE my daughter and take my role as mother 24/7 very seriously, it is lovely to get away once and a while to focus on myself and do the things I enjoy alone. I think this helps me keep my sanity intact.

Tonight was yoga night at the gym and for the first time in a couple of months I was able to attend.  I love classes at the gym, it's really the only reason that I joined. I was interested in yoga but didn't want to pay the crazy high prices at the local yoga studios. So instead I got a Goodlife membership and only go for the classes. I avoid the treadmills and weight machines like they're the plague. I think this has helped me go on a consistent basis (pre-Caitlyn) and actually keep my membership longer than the obligatory 1 year contract. All other memberships I've held ended with my not going after 3 months and paying for a year. The approach I take now is only do the things I find interesting without focusing so much on getting fit. The getting fit part is simply a happy side-effect.

The challenge I'm having these days is getting away to the gym on a regular basis. I've lost the consistency but definitely not the desire to go. My goal over the next little while is to get that consistency back so that I can continue to focus little parts of the week on myself.

Tonight's class was wonderfully relaxing. The entire class was on the mat and I was really able to relax. In order to continue the theme of the evening I'm currently drinking a glass of Shiraz and will later be enjoying some decaf green tea to top off the night.

I thought I would leave the image of me attempting a downward dog pose to your imagination and instead offer you this lovely picture of a very happy Caitlyn to end the day.

happy face
What types of things do you do with your "me time"?

3 comments:

  1. So glad that you are getting out to the gym Roxanne. Must be great! I think it's such a good idea to join the gym just for the classes and things you ENJOY doing. Lately i've been running again and cooking more (yes, I consider cooking to be "me time"...I love it!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I meant to say, adorable picture of Caitlyn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to get back to the gym. I keep wanting to learn to run but I never seem to get the motivation to get out there and actually do it, maybe someday, sigh. I agree cooking is definitely one of life's little pleasures but I don't count it as me time because I'm usually running between the kitchen and the living room to entertain Caitlyn as I do it.

    ReplyDelete