Thursday, September 23, 2010

6 Months Already

Wow, 6 months already!! This time has gone by unbelievably fast. I wanted to reflect a little on what I've learned in my first 6 months of being a mom.
  • I am capable of loving someone I hardly know with my entire being. Love at first sight isn't adequate to describe when I began to love Caitlyn, more like love at first pee stick.
  • I am capable of functioning without sleep. I may not always be in the best of moods, but I can function.
  • It's okay to be puked on as long as it is my daughter doing the puking. Spit up isn't nearly as gross when its your own kid's.
  • I can have entire conversations about poo and puke several times a day.  Same goes for breastfeeding, it just never gets old.
  • My proudest moment so far: meeting my goal of exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months.
  • My baby's smile is always able to lift my mood. I look forward to seeing her face light up every morning when I go to get her from her bed.
  • I had many opinions prior to being a mom that have totally changed: I don't put a blanket over my kid's head when breastfeeding in public, if sleeping in bed with me is the easiest way for us to both get some rest than I'm happy to oblige and the only person allowed to cry it out in this house is me.
  • My husband is wonderfully supportive and an even better Dad than I could have imagined or hoped for.
  • Cloth diapers are really easy to use and I'm so happy to not be using disposable diapers. I don't even mind the extra 3 loads of laundry per week.
  • I blow dry my baby's bum with every diaper change. I know it seems crazy, but I'll do whatever it takes to prevent diaper rash. No chemical creams on this bum.
  • Caitlyn's laugh is contagious and one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard.
  • Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt and do what works for us. There are so many ways of parenting out there with no clear right or wrong answers, for the most part anyway.
    • Last but certainly not least, I was made to be a mom. I love being a mother, everything about my relationship with my daughter is amazing. I adore her and the time that we get to spend together and I can't wait for the next 6 months and the next 6 after that and after that, you get the point.  
    Afternoon nap

    The amazing smiling face that greets me after every sleep
    hanging out on her 6 month birthday

    Watching my daughter develop and grow has been amazing and I can't wait to see the changes that are to come in the next 6 months.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment