Friday, September 24, 2010

The First Meal

Today was the day!

Caitlyn had her very first taste of solid food. Up until today all she's ever had is breast milk (BM) so this was a pretty big change for her.

On the menu:
Sweet potato a la creme (sweet potato with BM)

She did amazing, after a few minutes of uncertanty Caitlyn started to really enjoy her meal. I think this was the most fun I've had with her so far, it was wonderful to see all her reactions to this very new experience.

There are a few things I will change for the next meal of course as we're learning as we go.

I tried warming the food in hot water instead of using the microwave, that took over 20 minutes and I ended up still throwing it in the microwave for 5 sec. Next time I'll try boiling water or the microwave right away, unless someone has another idea that they wouldn't mind sharing.

When I made the sweet potato I pureed it with no water figuring I would add BM before feeding her to get it to the right consistency. Little did I know I would need a lot of BM to get the right consistency, next time I'll add the cooking water to make it runnier and save the BM for her cereal.

Overall this was great! We had a lot of laughs and a little mess so I would say it was a success. Can't wait until her second meal tomorrow.

Here's a video of Caitlyn's first meal. It started out at 24 min but I managed to cut it down to 10 min, I know that's still a little long but I couldn't bring myself to make it too much shorter. I hope you enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like she was enjoying it! I was really impressed of how good she was doing esp. for her first time! I bet she will be a good eater too! She is tooooo sweet! :) xo

    ReplyDelete