Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sleep Update

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to everyone who read my last post and commented. Mom, Ruby, Amber, Yolanda, Angie, Monica, Leah and Kelly, you have no idea how much I appreciated hearing your suggestions and just knowing I'm not the only one out there having these types of problems.

Photobucket

Here's an update on where we are since that post.

Over the next couple of nights I worked really hard at changing my approach so that I wouldn't be so frustrated. Once I just accepted that she would wake up I found that I could stay calmer which was good. However things got progressively worse peaking Thursday night. Brock had to get up with Caitlyn every night because she refused to go to sleep for me. Thursday she was up every two hours. At this point it wasn't so much about her waking up it was the fact that it was practically impossible for me to get her back to sleep once she did wake up.

After hearing from some people who used the Ferber method and were successful we decided to go ahead and try it. I knew full well if it didn't work or Caitlyn's crying got out of control I could always back off and try to find something else that worked.

Here's a quick synopsis of the approach:
Put baby down in the crib awake. Leave the room. If baby cries go back in at progressively longer periods of time to reassure her and then leave after 1-2 minutes.

The timing we went with was: 3min, 5min, 7min, 10min (never longer than 10min)

Photobucket

We started Friday night and overall I think it went really well. Here's what happened:

Bedtime Routine started at 7:00pm, in her crib awake at 7:40pm.
Cried 3 min, I went to lay her down and comfort her. When I left she was still crying.
Went back after 5min and laid her down again. This time she fell asleep right after.

She slept until 11pm. This session was the hardest. She cried for the 3, 5, 7, and 10 minutes twice. Overall we were up about an hour. Her crying never really got out of control but this was the first time she's ever woke up in the middle of the night and I didn't pick her up. She seemed a little devastated the first time I laid her back down but by the end she was calm and went back to sleep and that's what mattered.

She woke again around 5:30am, this time Brock brought her to bed with us where I nursed her. She didn't want to sleep in bed with us and Brock ended up going downstairs to the couch with her. She slept until 7:30am.

Photobucket

Saturday naps were pretty uneventful. We followed the same formula and I only had to go up once during her morning nap, she wasn't even really crying. She was whining a bit and I could tell that she was probably sitting up in her crib. I find once she's sitting up she doesn't think to lay back down so I need to go in and get her tucked in again so she'll go to sleep.

Saturday Night was better than Friday night. She woke up at 3am and only cried for 3 min. After I went in the first time she went right back to sleep until 6:30am.

Photobucket

Sunday Naps were ok. I had to go in a couple of times during her morning nap but that was it.

Sunday night was the best night. She went to bed with no tears. I heard her around 10pm but she went back to sleep on her own without me going in to comfort her. She slept until 5:30am and I went in to nursed her and put her back in her crib where she went to sleep with no tears. At 6:30am she came to bed with us and slept until 7:30am.

Monday we had a relapse of the Friday 11pm session but aside from that the night was pretty good overall. She woke up at 11pm and 3am, but then slept until 7:30am so not to bad.

Overall I found that it was easier than I thought it would be. Caitlyn's crying never really got out of control or so intense that I couldn't handle letting her cry anymore. It seems like she's caught on pretty quick to the new routine and understands now that we're not going to be picking her up every time she wakes up anymore. Hopefully the trend continues.

Thanks again everyone for your support and advice.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm very happy to hear that there is some improvement. It sounds like your family is on your way to a peaceful night's sleep with fewer wake ups!

    I thought of one other thing I wanted to pass along your way. I listened to this podcast (New Moms, New Babies) where they had a sleep consultant on. She sells the "3 Day Sleep Solution" which from what I can tell from the podcast is "pro CIO". She gives lots of helpful information about baby sleep and bed times etc. and I think it's worth a listen. The one thing that I took home from it was when to put babies to bed which is a lot earlier than most people think! I noticed you were putting her down at 7:40 (which lots of people do) but I wonder if she went down earlier if it would eliminate some wake ups? Give this podcast a listen and see what you think: http://newmomsnewbabies.com/how-much-sleep-does-your-baby-really-need/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Angie. I'm definitely going to give it a listen. She did used to go to bed at 7pm but since we started bathing her every night her routine is about 40 min long. Hence the switch to 7:40pm. She actually slept right through last night so I think I'll stick with it for now, but if it stops working I'll definitely be considering the bedtime change.

    ReplyDelete