Tuesday, February 8, 2011

So Frustrated

Disclaimer: This is not my typical happy post. I may rant just a little, or a lot. 

Photobucket

Why oh why can't she just sleep through the night? She used to, for a couple of months before she started solids Caitlyn would sleep from 7pm to 6am. It was heaven!

Then we started solids and she stopped sleeping through the night. I wondered if it was the solids causing her to wake up and thought the phase would pass. That was 4.5 months ago.

Then we had a friend stay with us and we thought he was waking her up in the evening because she wasn't used to the kind of noises he made. He left a month ago.

Now, well now I'm just insanely frustrated and this '__' close to sleep training. I'm not a fan of the Ferber method. Letting her "cry it out" just doesn't seem right to me. But I've heard it works wonders for people and only takes a couple of days.  I'm still working on a couple of options, but man am I ever getting desperate.

Photobucket
Tired face with a little bed head


I went to Facebook and Twitter recently to get some feedback from my mommy friends on how they got their kids to sleep through the night. I've implemented the suggestions and so far it has helped. She's gone from being up 3-4 times per night to once.

The suggestions were:
Give her oatmeal before bed
Stop nursing at night
Use a vaporizer/noise machine

So far I've:

Stopped night time feeding
Changed bedtime routine from: Bath every other night, nurse to sleep
To: Milk/cereal, Bath (every night), Story, Bed (while still awake). We also added a Vaporizer to increase the humidity/warmth in her room.

She falls asleep on her own just great with no issues. Its the waking up in the middle of the night where we are having a problem.

The past few days, its been very tough getting her to go back to sleep once she wakes up. The fact that I'm not nursing her back to sleep probably has a lot to do with it. She's also recently discovered how to sit up on her own. She wakes up crying, I pick her up, rock her to calm her down and she seems to doze off in my arms. The very second I set her down in her crib she proceeds to roll over and sit up and start crying all over again. Its like a bad movie scene set on repeat because she does it over and over and over again. (can't say I didn't warn you about the ranting). 

Photobucket

What makes it awful, is these days I'm so fed up with waking up in the middle of the night that I get angry and I can't seem to help it. I'm worn out and tired and I feel like there's nothing I can do. Brock does try to help but with him working it makes it harder for him to help during the week.

I know eventually it will get better, she has to start sleeping through the night sometime right. Maybe by the time she's 12?? If you have an additional suggestions to help me avoid the Ferber method I'd love to hear them. Feel free to leave a comment with your experiences.

Fingers crossed that tonight's the night she sleeps through. Or not, immediately after I typed that last sentence she started crying, Murphy's Law loves me.

We'll be back to our regularly scheduled happy posts soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment