Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring Challenge - Week 1

Have you read about Ruby and Leah's Spring Challenge? It's a 12 week challenge designed to help you include healthy living in your day to day life.

I'm really excited about participating, especially because they are including a Diet, Fitness and Life challenge each week. Remember my 2011 Goal to focus on my health, this is going to get me started. Yes, I realize its 3 months into the year but better late than never right?

Here's how I've done so far:

Week 1

Diet Challenge: Eat More Fruit

I got lucky with this challenge. Grapes were on sale this week at the grocery store and I happen to love them so I bought a whole bunch. Add in some oranges and apples and I was a fruit eating machine.

The best part, fruit pie counts towards the goal. Why? because Ruby said so.

 



Fitness Challenge: Set Up a Six Week Fitness Plan

As soon as I saw this I knew what my fitness plan would include. I have aspired to be a runner for 3 or 4 years now but I can never seem to get a routine going where I run enough to be good at it. Running with no endurance sucks and sticking with it long enough to build endurance is really tough.

March 28th my mat leave will be over and I'll be returning to work. There's a gym across the street from my office and my intention is to spend my lunch hour at the gym a minimum of 3 times a week. This way I can work out without it cutting into my evening time with Caitlyn.

Giving myself a week to get back into the grove this plan will officially start April 4th. Its a simple plan really:
  • Go to the gym Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. 
  • Spend 30 minutes on the treadmill doing interval running. 
  • Track improvements of my overall time and distance on a weekly basis.
I tried looking into learn to run programs however I'm not sure they're right for me. I know that I can run longer than a run 2 min walk 1 min interval that those programs typically start with. I think the best thing is to track my runs the first week and then plan for improvements from there. Hopefully at the end of 6 weeks I can officially say I'm a runner rather than someone who just aspires to run.

Life Challenge - Start a new book

This challenge was actually pretty easy for me since I've been reading quite a lot lately. I've found that in the evenings before I go to sleep doing a little reading really helps me unwind. My current list of favorite authors include: Kelley Armstrong and Jodi Picoult. I've also been reading a bit more about eating habits lately. This week I'm reading through Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer and I'm heading out soon to pick up Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet from our local library.

I'm really interested in seeing what everyone else doing the challenge is reading. I'm always looking for new authors and books. Sometimes I can wander our local Chapters for hours just trying to find the right book to read.

So there we have it week one challenge complete!

Here's some pictures from our birthday play date.

Photobucket



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Just want to say awesome job with the challenges!!! But I mostly wanted to say Caitlyn is looking more and more like you everyday!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, Was it the tongue that gave it away???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup...pretty much! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How AWESOME you can fit your workouts in in your lunch break! I would love to do that. Such a great use of the time and great for energy levels too. You did great! And Caitlyn is sooo cute.

    ReplyDelete