Sunday, May 15, 2011

Challenging Times

Hi there, I know I've been gone a while and I'm hoping to be back in blogging mode again soon. I've been back to work now for about a month and a half and I have to admit it's been more challenging than I thought it would be. Between caring for Caitlyn, cooking, cleaning and general up keep of the house I find I have little time for anything else during the week. Throw in a couple of work trips that take me away from home for three days at a time and I really fall behind on all of my other hobbies.

Can you believe I've only taken about 20 pictures of Caitlyn since I've been back to work. This is a kid who has over 1500 pictures saved on my computer from her first year. Add in the fact that I haven't the time or energy to bring her to our hometown for family visits and suddenly things are looking kind of down. Yes, this is turning into a bit of a whiny post but at the same time I know that there are other Moms out there going through the same thing. So guess what, you're not alone.

We often pretend that things are going well and only blog about the happy times, but the reality is that being a working mom is stressful stuff. You are pulled in many different directions and often expectations that are put on you by yourself and others are too high. This sets us up for a bit of failure and disappointment and its hard sometimes to get past it. I wish that I could live closer to my family so that we could visit more often. I wish that I didn't have to work so that I could raise my daughter myself. I wish that I didn't need to sleep so that I could wash my floors and bake a pie.

The reality though is that I'm not going to get what I wish for so I make due with what I have which in actuality is all I really need. An amazing daughter who makes me laugh. A husband who is so supportive and helpful.  A family who realizes how busy life can be and makes the most of the time we have together. A grocery store that's close by and has a great bakery section and of course a dirty but not entirely filthy floor (kids need dirt for their immune system after all, or so they say).

I'm also very grateful for bubbles and how they my little girl so happy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Hi Roxanne, i'm not sure if it helps but I will tell you things start to slow down a bit and get "easier" (if I can use that word).  When I first went back to work I didn't sit down until 10pm some nights.  I was exhausted trying to get everything done.  Finally I realized that if the vacuuming didn't get done or the dishes had to wait until tomorrow it was no big deal.  AS long as we were all taken care of and ready for the next day.  Spend time with Caitlyn, take those pictures, relax with Brock and take care of you.  I've had clothes that have needed putting away on the dining room table since last week.  I'll get to them eventually. Working full time is hard; don't we all wish we could stay at home and the bills would still get paid? I'm glad you wrote this post because it's going to show others that it's not always easy!!  You are doing great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, totally forgot to mention that Sophie has the same onesie that Caitlyn has on in those pictures!!  Seriously cute! 

    When the stress gets to you, just keep blowing bubbles.. she loves them!!! Her smile will make you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Roxanne,

    I agree with Leah - it gets easier! I used to get SO overwhelemd with everything that needed to get done in the mornings and evenings. But it gets easier in two ways: 1, you indeed learn to let go and focus on the right priorities for YOU and 2, you get more experienced/quicker at doing certain things once you've done them a couple of dozen times and you no longer have to think about everything - it becomes automatic. I also found that after a good couple of months my brain defuzzed as well - at first it seemd like I wasn't even able to MAKE a list, let alone do stuff from a list. Now I can focus better and handle changes/challenges much better. Think of it this way: it takes you awhile to get used to the new role of parenthood and find a new normal, the same goes for becoming a WORKING parent. You can do it! Make sure you take a breather now and then :-)

    ReplyDelete