Sunday, December 30, 2012

Running

I’ve been waiting months to write this one Smile

This past summer I finally realized a goal that has been on my list for years, and I mean lots of years. I’ve always aspired to be a runner but every time I started I found it so hard and I never went out more than once or twice before giving up. This summer was different. With the help of my good friend Cherie I somehow found the motivation to join a running club and commit to a Couch to 10K program using an app on my smartphone. Four of us would meet up every Wednesday evening all summer for a run and I would head out on my own twice more during the week.

At first I found it kind of easy, run 60 sec, walk 90 sec, it wasn’t so bad aside from some crazy shin splints. After a few weeks it definitely got to be more challenging. I think my favourite intervals were run 10 min, walk 1 min. That 1 min of walking helped me mentally more than anything, in my head I was always thinking about just making it to that next walking point.

This was taken after a 3.83k run in July, so proud of myself that day. It was the farthest run I had completed at that point.

DSC_0832

Week after week I went farther and farther and it felt SO GOOD! Ultimately I never did make it to the 10k run, the longest I recorded was 7.77 km. To be honest, that was ok with me because what I did accomplish was my very first 5KM Race!

I signed up for the race with Stevie who was part of our running club. It was scheduled for October 13th, 2012.

Here we are before the race, it was a little chilly that day but the sun was shining and that’s what mattered.

DSC_0978

We started out strong and ran the entire race without taking any walking breaks. The course was an out and back on a path in a beautiful park in London. The people on the course were great and very encouraging including all the fellow runners. I was so grateful that Stevie decided to do this run with me. We typically run about the same pace which made it really nice. It’s always much more fun to run with a partner.

At the end of the race as we saw the finish line approaching I got a huge burst of energy and gave it my all to finish strong. It helped that I had my very own cheering section at the finish line. My husband, brother, nephew and cousin were all there to cheer me on. But the little person who mattered the most and motivated me to complete the crazy longstanding goal of mine was my baby girl! She met me at the end and I was so happy to see her there. If there’s one thing that motivates me through the hard runs the most it’s Caitlyn. I want so badly to be healthy for her and to show her that if you put your mind to something you can make it happen.

DSC_0980

In the end, I wasn’t first and I wasn’t last, we finished around the middle of the pack which was exactly where I wanted to be. As for finishing times, I’ll never know. For whatever reason they didn’t time this race like they were supposed to and because I expected an “official” time I didn’t bother setting my cell phone to track my time. As frustrating as it is, I’ve been trying to not let it ruin the experience too much. During my training I ran 5 km in about 35 min and come spring I plan on signing up for a new 5 km race that will be timed so I can set my very personal record.

In the meantime, it’s been a little too chilly outside to run. I don’t mind running in the cold so much as the runny nose. So after a month long break I joined a gym again and hit the treadmill today for the first time. Not too bad for my first run in over a month but I’m definitely looking forward to improving it over the winter so I come back strong for that next race.

DSC_1091

No comments:

Post a Comment