Sunday, February 10, 2013

Adventures in House Hunting

While we’re preparing our condo for sale we’ve also been heading out to look at a few homes in the area we want to buy that meet our price range, sort of. All I can say, is there is a house out there for everyone, and lots that aren’t for us.

Exhibit A: Smokers Dream

photo courtesy of Google Street View

image

A house we saw last week has been on the market for a while, Brock and I had driven by it once and I automatically said no way. Did not like the look of this house at all. When our realtor took us to it I humoured her by going inside. We stepped into the foyer and the first thing I noticed was the smell of cigarettes. It was everywhere in the house, automatic no for me. Still we continued on our tour, we went upstairs to the main floor. There was a nice living room, 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. That was it, notice anything missing?? Next we headed downstairs to the basement where there was another family room, laundry and the kitchen. I couldn’t believe the kitchen was in the basement, very strange. To top it off, the kitchen had a window above the sink that looked into the garage. That’s right folks, want to know if your car is still there never mind going into the garage just look out your kitchen window. Definite no.

Exhibit B: Awkward!

Photo Courtesy of Google Street View

image

Nice looking house right? I thought so anyway, it’s newer and in a really nice neighbourhood full of young families. That’s about where the good things end. We got to this house and the owners were home, already that was very awkward. It’s hard to go through someone’s home and be honest with Brock about what I like or don’t like when I know the people who actually own it are probably listening in. We went through the main level, I didn’t care for the layout and the kitchen had some shoddy workmanship. The floors and carpets were cheap, you could tell that this house was built with little to no upgrades. Given the age of the house I expected it to be in better condition. We headed downstairs into the finished basement.  The stairs lead directly into a small room that Brock immediately enters and starts looking around. I on the other hand glanced at the floor where there was a small mattress with a person sleeping on it. I couldn’t believe it, we had just walked into some person’s bedroom and they were in bed! I’m trying to get Brock’s attention because he hadn’t noticed at all and also looking at my agent like what the hell?! We left without seeing the rest of the house, I already knew I wasn’t buying and didn’t need to find myself in any more uncomfortable situations.

Exhibit C: Almost Perfect

Photo courtesy of Google Street View

image

The house that wasn’t meant to be. This house came up this week and looked pretty good from the listing. Saturday there was an open house we thought we would check it out, along with 30 other people. The open house was so busy and there was definitely a reason why, the house was almost perfect. It had everything we were looking for, minus the circa 1960’s wallpaper and lighting fixture in the kitchen. The space in the house was incredible and the price was just within our price range. But, it was never meant to be. Since we’ve not sold yet and with the amount of interest in this place, I’m certain it will be gone before we are ready to buy. So long almost perfect home.

I firmly believe that regardless of how stressful it is thinking about finding the right home at the right time, it will happen. The right house is out there waiting for us, I know it. We may just have to see 20 more to find it. Do you have any great house hunting to share?

2 comments:

  1. House number 3 is definitely my fav in terms of the outside look. I love that the yard is so big.  I find newer houses in new subdivisions (ie: number 2) are built so close together and have small yards.  Number 1... everything you described is just weird. 
     
    Your totally perfect house will come along!!  I think it's good that you are house hunting after you guys had Caitlyn because you know what to look for in a house that would be suitable with a child.  People without kids might not be able to you know? I don't know, just something I thought of.  I think it's easier to look for a family home when you have a family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a blast!  ;)  Remember a little paint can go a long way!  Enjoy the search!

    ReplyDelete