Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Yin Yoga

Since the weather turned cold I have not been running outside at all. I tried to keep it up in the colder weather but found that I hated running in the cold. It’s not so much the cold air because you certainly get warm quick enough when you are out there pounding the pavement. It was the runny nose I had to deal with the entire run. I can’t stand the constant sniffling and blowing while I’m trying to focus on keeping going with one foot in front of the other. Needless to say, I’ve had to find other ways of keeping fit this winter and plan on a few posts to outline my current exercise regime if you can call it that.

Have you ever heard of Yin Yoga? It’s a Yoga practice that is done almost completely on the mat. Poses target connective tissue and joints and are generally held for 3-4 minutes. I cannot say enough good things about it. I typically attend a Hot Yin Yoga class every other Tuesday with the hopes of making it every Tuesday soon.  Each time I go to class I leave feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. Tuesdays are generally very busy for me. It starts with working all day, then rushing home to pick up Caitlyn and get her fed a snack. We head off to her gymnastics class for 5:30pm and get home from that by 6:30pm. If I haven’t had a chance to make her dinner ahead of time I’ll cook it and get her fed, then she’s off to bed. I grab my mat and rush off to pick up my cousin and get to class on time.

Usually we arrive a few minutes early and get to chat before hand. Once I enter the hot studio I set up my mat and lay down for a little slice of heaven. Being able to lay there before class for even a few short minutes does so much to help me get into the proper frame of mind for the yoga class. I try to clear my head so that I can focus solely on my practice and the hour ahead. My favourite instructor Alina starts us off with her calming nature and soothing voice. We go through several poses throughout the class, my favourite being the supported fish pose. I love how this pose makes me feel, it opens up my chest and I feel free to relax and enjoy it.

DSC_1162

Another favourite is the Cat/Cow combination, this pose loosens me up so much and feels so good to do. Near the end of class it’s back to laying down in Savasana I spend the next few minutes hovering between consciousness and sleep in a state of wonderful relaxation.

As I leave the class I feel so good. My body is more flexible and my mind is calm. The week’s stresses have melted away and I know that I will sleep good that night. The next morning I sit and stand taller, hurt a little less and feel so much better. My mind is clear and I’m ready for the week ahead.

Alina and I after class.

DSC_1164 (2)

All in all, I’m so happy to have discovered Yin Yoga and really appreciate having the opportunity to take part in this form of yoga. 

Namaste

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Roxanne! always a pleasure to see you. Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That class sounds incredible! Despite the busy life, it's nice to completely relax for a good hour during the week.  Good for you for going!

    I would love to have someone to go to something like that with.  It makes a difference when you're in good company!

    ReplyDelete